Product category: Desktop
Last updated: Jul 08, 2005
Price: 27.95 USD
- Nokia 9500 Communicator
- Nokia 9300 Communicator
This product is no longer supported by Symbianware. Now you can download
and get full support for this product from
PowerDesk is designed to help a user to optimize, simplify and organize
most common everyday actions performed on a communicator in a very clear
and most comfortable way.
Highly powerful and customizable Desktop application
replaces the built-in one completely;
today view allows you to overview and to work with your daily events,
appointments, tasks and messages; comprehensive task manager;
windows Alt-Tab style task switcher, assigning hotkeys for applications,
speed dials, contacts, actions and hundreds more
other unique functions and possibilities to explore.
Touch pure productivity power today, try PowerDesk the next generation of
software development for Nokia smartphones!
The application has a Desk view and a Today view.
The user can switch between them easily using the Ctrl-Q hotkey,
the corresponding menu command or the button bar button.
The Desktop view is in some way quite similar to the built-in
system app Desktop. But it's a highly improved version.
All desktop items can be listed in the same way as in the built-in
one (icon and caption), with 3 zoom levels, etc. But it is possible for the
user to create folders and any number of subfolders on the desktop
and organize items between them.
An item on the Powerdesk desktop can be (any number of):
- Shortcut to an application (starts specified app, like in built-in
- Sticky note (like in built-in Desktop application)
- Shortcut to a document (e.g. to word file, etc)
- Speed dial (dials specified person)
- Speed SMS (starts new SMS to a specified person)
- Speed MMS (starts new MMS to a specified person)
- Speed eMail (starts new eMail to a specified person)
- Shortcut to a contact (opens specified contact from built-in
- Shortcut to webpage (opens specified webpage)
Such approach will allow you to highly organize your work with the
device. For example: a user can create, say, the folders Business and Personal,
place in Business folder some speed dials to the most used work contacts
(to be able to locate and call the recent contact in a moment
without locating it in his huge contact list, opening contact,
locating needed number and then call), shortcuts to recently used
documents or webpages and so on. If there are many items
going to be in some folder, the user can create subfolders
to organize items there better.
For any item placed on the desktop you can assign a global hotkey.
Global hotkey means once a hotkey is assigned then it works not only
when PowerDesk is running in foreground, but when PowerDesk is in
background also and it will work with any other application, for example
with Word .
E.g. with one key press you can immediately dial your wife,
open contact details of your boss, start any application, etc any time
you work with your Communicator.
To define hotkey for an item you need to select the item, and use
'Properties' command on the Desk menu (or press Ctrl-P).
See Productivity power topic for more about hotkeys
All items on the desk can be sorted. There are 2 different sorts:
- Sort by name. Automatic sort method, which shows all your items
on the desktop sorted by item name.
- Manual sort. In this mode you can arrange all items on the desktop in
your own order.
When Manual sort mode is activated you can use Move left (Ctrl+Left arrow)
and Move right (Ctrl+Right arrow) commands to move (swap) items and
change their order the way you like.
In the top right corner of the desktop you can see the Today pane. It shows
brief information from today view. Here you can see how many
unread messages you have in your inbox, how many uncompleted tasks
you have for today (+ overdue tasks here as well) and how many
various uncompleted events and appointments you have for today.
If you are not interested in such information to be visible on your
desktop you can switch it off in View settings.
The Desktop page is customizable. You are able to change background image,
all text colours, levels of opacity, etc. Using 'View settings' command on the
View menu you can perform the changes.
- Pressing Ctrl, Shift, Ctrl-Shift and Func keys animates the buttons bar.
While you press one of these keys the button set is changed and different
displayed. Most commands on button bar can be accessed in this way
without switching to menus.
- You can change any item icon or text by using 'Properties' command
on the Desk menu (or press Ctrl-P).
- Using 'Move to folder' command (Ctrl-M) you can move any selected item
to any other folder.
- Using 'Go to folder' command (Space key) allows you to go to any folder
or subfolder in the fastest way.
- With 'Shortcut hotkeys' you can see all your defined hotkeys in one
comprehensive form. Let this command be your hotkeys reference if you have
forgotten some hotkey.
Windows Alt-Tab style task switcher as one of dozens
actions that Powerdesk supports to assign hotkeys
Using Properies command you can assign a hotkey to any item that is located on
desktop. But that's not all! You can also assign hotkeys to many very
powerful actions and perform them any time with one single press.
To define Actions hotkeys you should use 'Actions hotkeys' command on
the tools menu. Available actions to customize with hotkeys:
- Popup PowerDesk - Pops up PowerDesk from background
- Popup PowerDesk [Desk] - Pops up PowerDesk from background and
selects Desk view
- Popup PowerDesk [Today] - Pops up PowerDesk from background and
selects Today view
- TaskMan - Shows task manager
- Task switcher - Windows Alt-Tab style task switcher. Example:
Set up hotkey for this action, for example Ctrl-Space. Then press Ctr-Space
any time you work
with your device, keep Ctrl and hit Space any time you need
to select needed application. Release Ctrl to switch to the selected
The same look and feel as Alt-Tab on Windows.
- New menu - Opens 'New' menu that allows you to start new call,
sms, meeting entry, etc
- Start menu - Opens 'Start' menu that shows a list of all
installed applications allowing you to start any application from it.
- Close current app - Closes currently active application.
- Kill current app - Kills currently active application.
- Close all apps - Closes all active applications except system ones
- Close all apps but current - Closes all active applications
except the currenly active one and system ones
- Compact memory - Compacts memory
- Backlight mode - Activates/Deactivates 'always-on' backlight mode. If 'always-on' backlight mode is activated device backlight won't fade and will be always on till this mode will be deactivated or cover will be close.
- Memory information - Shows memory/disks information
- Restart device - Restarts device after confirmation
- New call - Starts new call
- New meeting - Creates new meeting
- New to-do entry - Creates new to-do entry
- New memo - Creates new memo
- New anniversary - Creates new anniversary
- New SMS - Creates new SMS
- New MMS - Creates new MMS
- New Email - Creates new Email
- New Fax - Creates new Fax
Serve as default front-end
PowerDesk is designed to serve as a default front-end. Hints on how to get
more of it:
- Assign 'Popup PowerDesk [Desk]' to some key (Desk key for example)
to access PowerDesk any time it's needed in one key press
- In PowerDesk global setting enable Autostart function and PowerDesk will
started on system start instead of built-in Desk application
Please note: if you want to bypass PowerDesk autostart during system start
by some reason you need to press and keep Shift button while device is booting
and keep it till you see 'PowerDesk start canceled!' message.
- If you want to see your desktop every time you open device cover you can
select some action in 'On case open' option in PowerDesk global setting
- It could be interesting for someone to close all applications when you
close the cover.
If you need this option you can select it in PowerDesk global settings
Please note: close of all applications will be performed not immediately
you close the cover but in about 15 seconds when you close it. It could be
to prevent casual unwanted closing.
If you've selected Close all apps on cover close option please make
that you don't have unsaved data in some application when closing the cover.
Or you can define a list of all applications that cannot be closed
on cover close.
Please note: when PowerDesk is starting it completely shutdowns built-in Desk
application not to waste memory. When you close PowerDesk by some reason it
automatically starts built-in Desk application again.
Today view is powerful and unique information managing tool for displaying
user's appointments, tasks and messagings in the customizable, convenient and
Today view collects information from Calendar application to show you
all your important information in a single optimized view. You can change any
(e.g. Completed (Space key) or tentative). Moreover you can edit or create new
meetings, memos, to-do entries etc right here without using Calendar application
Today view contains Calendar and Tasks panes. You can switch between them with
Messages pane shows you numbers of SMS, MMS, Emails and faxes in your inbox.
number of non-read messages and total number of messages.
Using 'View settings' command (Ctrl-K) you can change the background image,
all text colours, levels of opacity, etc.
Furthermore you can customize Today view behaviour here:
Agenda (settings for Calendar pane):
- Next days number to show - very powerful option that determines how many
days will be shown ahead in Calendar pane.
- Hide today's past events - If on then events that are timed out for today
won't be shown
- Hide completed events - If on then all completed events won't be shown in
Tasks (settings for Tasks pane):
- Display priority
- Show completed tasks
- Show past tasks
- Show undated tasks
- Show tasks due today
- Show scheduled tasks
PowerDesk includes the TaskMan module.
This module (view) shows the information about running applications. Here you
can see how much memory
the running app uses, switch to the selected application,
close or kill an application, get it's extended information (e.g. UID, where
it is located on disk etc) and process information.
You can see the current amount of memory left and disk space in this
view as well.
Hint: to see all actions available in TaskMan press Ctrl + shift keys.
Sample desktop backgrounds
You can use any images as Desktop and Today view backgrounds.
Recommended sizes for background image:
Desktop view - 548x200 pixels
Today view - 608x200 pixels
Download some sample images
that suit default colour
schemes... (Zip file, 740 kB, 10 images inside)
Talal Al-Jishi from Bahrain: Best sofware I've used, great functions
I used to own a PDA (HP iPAQ H4150) along with a Nokia 6230, which I still have. The sole purpose of the PDA was to see and arrange all my notes and appointments. Then I decided to go for the new Nokia 9300, which is an amazing phone. I didn't like the way the I viewed my calendar and appointments, and tasks. This is where I found PowerDesk 2.0. I just got it today, however, I've been using it to test the software, and it works extremely fine.
Customizing the desktop is very useful, you could add a variety of short cuts on the desktop, i.e. speed SMS, which starts a new message for the person assigned, in addition to being able to have a "hotkey." You could also customize the task view and calendar, i.e. how many days to display and what tasks to show.
You could also have the software start when turning on the phone. In addition, to having the view (Desktop or Today view) of PowerDesk as you open the cover, which is very useful to me.
In general, this is one of the best softwares I've used.
Rating: 5 out of 5
SymbianWare OHG is in no way associated with Symbian Ltd.